Wednesday, March 6, 2013

CULTIVAR NEWS!!!

WOOHOOOOOO!!!

So I emailed the International Carnivorous Plant Society, and received a reply from the person in charge of cultivar registration. It went like this:


Dear Drew,
Stability of cultivar characteristics is one of the main issues in registering cultivar names (NB: we are registering names, not plants) but this stability refers to the phenotype only and not to lineage nor to procedures of generation or maintenance. The means of propagation may be a useful recommendation in the context of the description but it is not mandatory that a plant was generated using a specific method in order to apply a specific cultivar name to this plant because the definition and meaning of any cultivar name is governed exclusively by the phenotype described in the original publication. In your case this means you must be careful to mention everything you consider essential for making your new cultivar a special plant in the description of said cultivar. Irrespective of how other plants may have been generated, if they meet these criteria of your description, they may be given the name you propose in the description.
If the progeny of self-pollinated plants show variation in the characteristics that define the cultivar, only the plants that match the original description do belong to the cultivar. The remaining plants that deviate from the original description do not belong to the cultivar although they share the same lineage from a technical perspective. This may generate problems if seeds and not mature plants are traded because the defining characteristics may not be detectable in the seeds. One way to deal with this situation is to declare the seed batch in question as "seeds from selfing [Your Cultivar Name]", or similar.


Do you know what this means??? It basically means that when you register a plant as a cultivar, you are registering the appearance of a plant, not a specific individual and its genes. Therefore, any plant in the world that looks like the description is now that cultivar. By that logic also, seeds from the original that may not be exactly identical are still the cultivar as long as they look the same.

Do you know what this means??? It means that tissue culture is not my only option for registering this plant. I can grow it from seeds. Which also means I get to have a lot more fun with this project. I'm not rushed to do things by the book! I can experiment with less valuable plants with less of a risk, because I don't need to clone this exact plant. I will of course try to, but it is not my only sample (which also means I can make more cultures of many different plants).

I learned this week that cheap aluminum pressure cookers from Walmart may not result in the best sterilization. However, I will just "cook" everything a little longer than I had said before to counteract this. I'm trying to keep my budget under $100, and an $80 pressure cooker would really affect that. So, I will make due for this project. This way everything I'm using is cheap and readily available.

Here's the current tally of things I had to buy that I am not borrowing from school or weren't already in my house:

Fertilizer: $6
Inositol: $11
Agar powder: $5
Distilled water: $2
Sterilization chemicals, spray bottle, and plastic box: $25
Pressure cooker: $35

Not bad. This weekend I'm going to try and dispense the liquid into whatever jars I have and sterilize them. The week after I will sterilize and add the samples. Let's hope it works!



A quick cell phone picture of the D. burmannii I'm hoping to register. As it has aged it's gotten this beautiful red color. It's huge for its species, too, at two inches across. They are normally around one inch in diameter.

4 comments:

  1. YES DREW! Congrats on the letter from the ICPS! I know that you have been anticipating this email for the longest time to see if your project could be a success, and guess what? IT CAN! This is awesome, and the fact that any similar looking plant would be registered under the name you give it, is awesome! Maybe you could slip my name in the name of your plant like the Aayush-Drew Burmanii. Haha, that would be awesome even though I have done nothing to help you! Anyways I wish you the best of luck through trying to replicate something that looks similar to the brown plant you created. Also, I was wondering how you were going to present this all besides just lecturing us. The best part about a TED talk is that the audience is engaged, and although you probably have the best information in the class, I don't exactly know how you are going to make it interactive. SOOOOOOO think about that and let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's impressive that you can register your plant as a cultivar! But what exactly does that entail? I've found that sometimes you use too many technical terms that the layperson may not understand. It's great that you know all of these terms -- you're clearly very knowledgeable about the subject. Maybe you could make a glossary page or define any possibly confusing terms at the end of your posts to help out your readers.
    Aside from that, it's awesome that you can branch out within your project to try to grow the plants from seeds as well as using tissue culture. Make sure you document your progress on that as well as the tissue culture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YO DRÜ CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Getting a response to your letter is great! And the fact that soon you may be able to name your own cultivar of plant is insane! Also great job explaining all of the specific vocabulary and jargon that is specific to this field, I was actually able to understand it. Very good to see you are making great strides in progress and I share your concern of staying underbudget with my project as equipment may become quite expensive. Regardless, I'm sure that it will all be worth it in the end. I also agree with aayush on his comments relative to your TED talk and how interactive/engaging it will be for the audience. However, once you've got that aspect figured out, you'll be on your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hanson. For the TED Talk I plan on not getting into specifics, I think I'd lose attention very quickly. I'll be talking more about the philosophy I had regarding this project (explained in my vlog). Thanks again for the comment!

      Delete